Saturday, July 08, 2006

Dear Knitters

Clearance Yarn is clearly not a bad thing!

Last week, I went to a very trendy knitting shop in the oh-so-fabulous Buckhead district of Atlanta--tres expensive, tres overrated. The owner was overbearing and unfriendly. While I was knitting a test swatch, she grabbed it from me and asked, "WHAT are you doing?" and tore out all my stitches and did it herself. Because I'm a tight knitter.

After buying sale yarn (the sale yarn price was not disclosed to me until I reached the register, and by then, I was so fearful for my life that I threw the card at her and begged for mercy), I was out $132.

Yes. That was sale price. Mmmhmm. The most expensive shrug known to man, made by me, in 'sale yarn'. I was so disgusted with the entire process of buying yarn at a 'Buckhead Betty' establishment, I was led to...JoAnne's Fabrics for relief.

Ahhhhh. Clearance rack. Say it with me, knitters.
CLEARANCE RACK.

There's nothing wrong with it. It actually feels--liberating! Freeing! Cheap!
For twelve bucks, I got four skeins of funky, chunky, mostly wool-y yarn.

And it became this wonderful scarf for my mother! (Now, of course, my mother DESERVES ultra gorgeous cashmere, silk, mohair, alpaca, beaver, angora...and she'll get all those, one day. For now, however, she shall be the receipient of fun yarn).
Of course, Delilah had to check out the scarf to make sure it was of decent quality. She approved with a sniff.
Even better, this project distracted me from that damn Stockinette drop-stitch vest consuming all of my patience, free time, and hope. I finished this in under four hours. I suppose this means I need to get that vest done, but at least I have something to show you folks.

Please remember: we can be fiber snobs, and we can be knitting snobs. But we cannot forget the worth of a lot of string for a little cash. When you see sale yarn you love, grab it. Have fun. And don't fear acrylic blends. Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

i like cheap yarn, but there's something to be said for the cashmere blends out there.

wools and even alpaca makes me itchy, but cashmere? it's a dream.

that lady sounds like a bitch. you should hav poked her with your knitting needle.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Francesca said...

Yo. Yo, yo, yo. Cheap yarn rocks. I am a sucker for a sale. I love that scarf. I also love you modeling your scarf.

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home